Sunday, February 10, 2013

my two homes

I am back in Canada but still not in Halifax.  A large winter storm shut down flights to the Maritimes, so I'm staying with Alex in Toronto.  The city is blanketed with fresh white snow, the cafes and shops of Bloor Street are inviting, and the city of 4 million seems so quiet after Nyamirambo.  

I have known for a long time that I have two homes and will therefore always feel a sense of pull.  I love Canada: the snow, space, clean air, crossing the street safely,  new artistic plastic currency, clean lakes, ocean breezes, our values,  decent kind hearted people, our excellent health care system.  But it is in Rwanda that I truly feel open heart.  It is rare in Rwanda not to find people who greet you with warm smiles and always have time to chat.  "You are welcome" is heard many times.  This means "you are welcome in Rwanda".  There is already a strong pull to the many people in Rwanda who I considered good friends (a number of whom call me Mum) but there is also a wish to be there because everyday the work feels so meaningful.  There is such great potential for impact with all the teaching we've been doing in Rwanda. 

So, much as I love Canada, I consider myself Rwandan as well.  I have two identities and two homes.  As long as I am capable, I want to continue to contribute in whatever way possible to health and well being in Rwanda.  

Here are just a few images of the past five weeks.


One of the many shops we pass on the way to the hospital

Ready for the SAFE Course

Highly enjoyable teaching at the SAFE Course

Megan welcoming participants

Using hands on teaching as much as possible

Michelle bringing joy, and a brand new soccer ball, to a team that had been playing with tied up garbage bags

The "before" picture of the team.  100 kms of up and down on mountain tracks to Kibuye

We cycled through the heart of Rwanda

Beautifully dressed women on their way to church in the backcountry

Okay, I really did ask "how much longer".  Tom, wisely, refused to say.

Dean Patrick, truly one of the greatest leaders I've ever met

Skills teaching and practice at the sim centre

Scenario practice at the sim centre

Peter teaching communication skills

Cricothyroidotomy skills teaching at sim centre

Serena Hotel, our oasis

Joshua and Alex.

There are many ways people can help with our work in Rwanda.  All you need is a bit of passion to make a difference.  We need teachers and supplies for the sim centre.  You can sponsor a child, such as Joshua, at the Gisimba Orphanage for $500 per year.  Visit the beautiful Land of a Thousand Hills, if you are able.  But most of all, remember there are hard working people out there in the world who are able to find genuine happiness in the midst of tough situations.  For having made this discovery, I am truly grateful.

with love,
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment